Can I file bankruptcy on my own or do I need an attorney?
You are not required to have an attorney to file for bankruptcy.
Filing pro se-Where an Individual files bankruptcy without hiring an attorney.
However, in many cases, it’s a good idea to have a bankruptcy attorney.
In this Article we will answer these questions regarding Hiring a Bankruptcy Attorney.
- What Does a Bankruptcy Attorney Do?
- What Should I Expect from an Experienced and Knowledgeable Bankruptcy Attorney?
- The Bankruptcy Process.
- Do I Need a Bankruptcy Attorney?
What Does a Bankruptcy Attorney Do?
Answer: A bankruptcy lawyer should:
- Provide protection from creditors so you can keep as many assets as possible.
- Help you find ways to become free from financial responsibilities
What Should I Expect from an Experienced and Knowledgeable Bankruptcy Attorney?
Answer: A Bankruptcy attorney is your guide to help you navigate the legal matter process and can show you the safest and best route to win your case.
When you hire an experienced and knowledgeable bankruptcy attorney you will get peace of mind that your case will be filed and handled correctly.
- Free initial consultation – you get a free overview of what to expect from your case.
- Expert Bankruptcy Advice to help you understand what your options are including what type of bankruptcy you should file.
- Complete all the necessary paperwork for filing your bankruptcy.
- Show up and represent you when it is time for your case to go to court.
The Bankruptcy Process
- 30-60 minute interview between you and a lawyer.
- Assess your situation: How many assets you have and how much you owe?
- Attorney evaluates your case.
- Attorney provides advice on how to proceed.
- File paperwork with the court.
- Appearing before the judge.
- Convince judge to give you a second chance to do better financially.
Do I Need a Bankruptcy Attorney?
Answer: Bankruptcy is a complex subject.
- Creditors want to get paid by consumers
- Lawyers will both try to convince the judge that their client is right.
- Filing legal documents incorrectly could potentially cause you to lose your case based on simple mistakes.
- Experienced and Knowledgeable Attorneys know how and when paperwork needs to be filed.
- Experienced and Knowledgeable Attorneys know what judges are involved and what arguments to make so they can get the result you hired them to get you.
This is why hiring an Experienced and Knowledgeable Attorney will give you a greater chance of winning your Bankruptcy case than you would get if you attempted to file for Bankruptcy on your own.